The College and Career Guidance Center, commonly referred to as the “Career Center”, is located on the west side of the Media Center. Students are encouraged to come before and after school, during nutrition and lunch, and during class when they have permission from their teachers. The Career Center provides services to all students, faculty, parents, and community members.
- Register students on californiacolleges.edu to monitor progress on “a-g” requirements for admission to a four year college
- College search through Kuder College and Career Planning system losal.kuder.com
- Printed resources: catalogues, brochures, videos
- Overnight check-out system of printed resources
- Scheduled, formal fall visitations from over 50 college representatives
- College Information Night for Seniors and parents (September)
UC Application / Essay Night (October)
Community College Fair/Information Night for Seniors and parents (February)
College Information Night for Juniors and parents (February)
College Information Night for Sophomores and parents (March)
College Entrance Testing
Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
- Financial aid forms
- Scholarship applications posted and available from local, state, and national sponsors
- Financial Aid Information Night for Seniors and parents (January)
Career Information and Activities
Kuder Career Search with Person Match for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th
Kuder Skill Assessment for 9th 10th, 11th, and 12th
- Super's Work Values Inventory-revised for 11th and 12th
- ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) for 11th and 12th
- Liaison to all branches of the Armed Services
- Coordinate visitation of recruiters
- Display printed recruitment information
- Register and organize on-site administration of ASVAB
- Facilitate Selective Service Registration
ROP (North Orange County Regional Occupation Program)
- Course information and guidance
- Course registration and documentation of course completion
Student Employment Services
- Maintain “Job Board” listings from local business community
- Process Work Permits
The following site license allows for printing, copying, and distribution within the school sites and homes of students attending Los Alamitos High School, Laurel Continuation High School and Oak and McAuliffe Middle schools. This is an excellent resource opportunity for all students and parents to discover great information about colleges and careers.
The College and Career Center offers an online program for all students accessed by a personal user name and password. Online users will complete the college search and career development process through the online portfolio. Individuals can take assessments and access multiple resources to explore occupations and plan for postsecondary education. The portfolio includes assessments, favorites list, planning timelines, education planner, resume builder, note taker, job interview planning, occupation search and comparison, college search and comparison, financial aid application and scholarship search. The assessments provide automatic, immediate scoring and reporting available from any internet location.
Step 2: Click on Returning Users
User Name: First name Middle Initial Last name (no space)
Step 4: Click on Take An Assessment, Explore Occupations, or Plan for Education
To set up or update your 4 year plan: From your Home Page, click on Plan for Education, click on Create an Education Plan, Add a New Plan. Click on Edit in the subject area box, select course, click add, click ok.
Explore other options within the portfolio: Assessment Results, Plan for the Future, Explore Careers, Select a Major, Choose a Career, Find Financial Aid, Get a Job.
For assistance, contact the LAHS Career Center at (562) 799-4780, Ext. 82244 or 82240.
Parents can also get involved, access additional resources and review your child’s portfolio by creating your free Kuder Navigator parent account at losal.kuder.com. Just click on “new users register here” and choose “parent under 18.” Your child should know their user name, but if they have forgotten it, please contact Mrs. Eatmon or Mrs. Davenport at ext. 82240. Encourage your child to show you their assessment reports and review the results together.