WHAT IS GRIFFIN CONNECTIONS?
Griffin Connections is a remote learning program offered by the Los Alamitos Unified School District, providing the opportunity for Los Alamitos High School students to attend graduation requirement courses (World History, US History, Government, Economics) for free during the summer.
- Classes meet A-G course requirements and are offered through APEX Learning in a 95% independent online learning and 5% in-person traditional classroom learning environment. (Advanced Placement courses are not offered.)
- Classes are designed for students who are self-motivated, independent learners who are capable of wisely managing their time to meet ongoing deadlines in a fast-paced learning environment.
- Courses include weekly check-in points and the expectation of completing curriculum is scaffolded into demands that must be completed and turned in on weekly assigned dates.
- The curricular demands of the courses will NOT allow students to rapidly complete a semester or leave the bulk of their work until the end of the course.
- Daily student commitment is 3-4 hours per day.
- Students who register for a Griffin Connections course MUST attend ONE APEX Course Readiness Module. The online meeting link will be shared out to students that submit an intent to attend Griffin Connections.
Tuesday, April 4 @ 7:15 AM Friday, April 7 @ 4:00 PM
Monday, April 17 @ 4:30 PM Wednesday, April 19 @ 5:30 PM
Friday, April 21 @ 7:15 AM Saturday, April 22 @ 9:00 AM
Students should complete the Griffin Connections Course Self-Survey to help in determining if they are a good fit for a Griffins Connections Course.
Students commit to completing a full-year course (both semesters) in two, three-week semesters. Requirements include attending one in-person classroom day and two Zoom sessions for semester I, and three Zoom sessions for Semester II.
Note: Students will NOT receive credit for a semester if they miss more than one day of classroom learning. Office hours could be used to make-up the seat time for one absence.
- Semester I: (June 12 - June 30)
- Mandatory In-person Classroom Day: June 12
- Mandatory Zoom Classroom Days: June 20 and June 27
- Semester II: (July 10 - July 28)
- Mandatory Zoom Classroom Days: July 11, July 18, and July 25
- Live Zoom Class Meeting Days are 2 hours in length. (9 AM or 2 PM depending on the assigned class)
ADDTIONAL INFORMATION & STEPS FOR REGISTRATION
1. Student completes Griffin Connection Self-Survey and reviews results with parent/guardian.
2. Student and parent/guardian complete the Summer 2023 Course Intent Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org OR return it to the LAHS Main Office by March 3, 2023.
Based on student demand of courses it will be determined if a student lottery is required. Lottery will be a random selection of students who turned in Summer 2023 Course Intent Form by March 3, 2023.
3. Students will be notified of registration status by March 10, 2023.
4. Registration packets will be available for students who secure a seat, and will be due by March 17, 2023. Students who don’t return registration packets by March 18th will lose their seat in the class and be placed on a waiting list.
- Presentation from the 2023 Griffin Connections Information Meeting held on February 15, 2023
- Griffin Connections Summer 2023 Course Intent Form CLICK HERE
For more information about Griffin Connections, contact David Platt, Assistant Principal of Curriculum, Instruction, & Instructional Technology, email@example.com