Human Relations Advisory Council
We are diverse representatives of the Los Alamitos Unified School community who are committed to promoting an equitable learning environment that is safe, fair, inclusive, respects the diversity of perspectives, and the dignity of every person.
We will examine the educational environment, collaborate with stakeholders and propose solutions to strengthen our human relations that reflect our community's commitment to promoting a culture of student empowerment, fairness, diversity, and equality. An equitable learning environment cultivates the gifts and talents of each student so they can achieve their full potential.
The Human Relations Advisory Council's purpose is to support the Los Alamitos USD in its on-going efforts and commitment to creating schools in which all students, families, and community members feel safe and included.
HRAC subcommittees make recommendations to the Superintendent's Cabinet and the Board of Education on issues regarding diversity, equity, access, and inclusion. A list of subcommittees is below.
Our goal is to actively engage and support the District’s human relations efforts and to be ambassadors of positive human relations in our community. We focus on strategies and practices to support and maintain a positive human relations climate throughout the District’s nine schools.
Subcommittees are open to parents, teachers, and currently enrolled students in grades 8-12. To participate, please reach out to our Human Relations Facilitator.
- District-wide Hiring Practices
- Discipline and Restorative Practices
- Parent and Community Education
- Developing and Strengthening District-wide Human Relations Programs
- Communication and Resources
The Human Relations Advisory Council is coordinated by the District's Human Relations Advisory Council's Facilitator and Consultant who works in tandem with schools, the Diversity and Equity Inclusion TOSA, and the District office.
For more information please contact Danielle Nava-Mijares at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Event Resources & Recordings:
Empowering Our Children Through Literacy- A workshop to learn how to use children's literature to enhance literacy skills and develop an awareness of social issues. This session will be most beneficial for parents and guardians of children in grades TK- 8.
Presented by Claudia Vecchio Wille, Educator
- Empowering Our Children Through Literacy Workshop Video
- Empowering Our Children Through Literacy Presentation
- Questions to Guide Conversations About Literature
Stay Calm and Parent Strong Workshop
- Stay Calm and Parent Strong Workshop Recording- Passcode: =z#Gt2^D
- Stay Calm and Parent Strong Workshop Presentation
- Kristen Bell- Parenting Video
- Happify- Mindfulness Video
- Mindfulness Meditation Video