May 28, 2019
As we come to the end of our school year, the McGaugh staff and I cannot help but reflect on a fabulous school year. Just a few highlights:
- We welcomed and are about to welcome new babies and future Sea Lions born to Mrs. Michelle Anderson (baby boy); Mrs. Martha Chavarin (baby boy); Mrs. Vanessa Monteleone (baby girl); Mrs. Samantha Revenaugh (baby girl) and coming this July, Mrs. Stefana Fox (baby Fox).
- We established the International Culture Club where we identified various countries as well as opportunities to celebrate accomplishments of men and women who represent the many cultures and countries found right here at McGaugh. Every month we learned about accomplished individuals or cultures that have shaped our world.
- We held our first International Day “World Tour” where our students were exposed to six different countries and experienced the customs, history, foods, music, and celebrations of these countries. One of the best days I have experienced in my 30 years in education!
- McGaugh implemented a positive school-wide behavioral program, RAH! McGaugh where students are encouraged to and recognized for showing Responsibility, Awareness and Honor throughout the day.
- We installed over 30 state-of-the-art cameras campus-wide in an effort to keep our Sea Lions and our campus safer.
- We celebrated Mrs. Cheryl Smith as the Seal Beach Lion’s Teacher of the Year!
- We recognized and honored Mrs. Leslie Obert as the Outstanding Orange County Arts Educator of the Year recipient.
- We celebrated the 37th Annual Pageant of the Arts with featured artist Katsushika Hokusai’s “Fuji with Seven Bridges in One View” where our 150 5th grade students danced to original music compositions and 10 “masterpieces.”
- We provided weekly art instruction to students in grades TK-5! Thank you, Project SEEK, for your support in making this happen!
- We received a grant for $1,500 from Las Damas to support the arts program at McGaugh.
- We received a grant for $1,000 from the Huntington Harbour Philharmonic to support the purchase of musical instruments for our music program.
- McGaugh participated in the Huntington Harbour Philharmonic program which allowed 2nd graders to travel to the Segerstrom Performing Arts Center where they watched the Disneyland Band perform; our 3rd graders participated in the Music Mobile instrumental program here at McGaugh; and our 5th grade students attended the ballet at the Segerstrom Center. All were thrilled with the performances.
- We celebrate student achievement and outstanding citizenship at our regularly scheduled Seal of Approval Awards assemblies where all grade levels come together and cheer each other on! We also acknowledge Attendance award winners.
- We demonstrated great Patriotism throughout the year not only daily with our morning announcements but also with our September 11 Memorial, Veterans Day celebration, and recognition of The Week of the Military Child.
- McGaugh teachers established common language arts and math blocks in order to provide grade level intervention programs within the classroom for students below the line.
- We continued our relationship with the Seal Beach Women’s Club and participated in their poetry contest where seven of our 5th grade students were recognized with certificates and awards and the Knights of Columbus who come to McGaugh to work with our students and teach them to build model cars and wooden birdhouses.
- McGaugh celebrated Peace Week with a variety of activities including our 22nd Annual Come Walk in my Shoes event in which students navigate activities that replicate impairments that are overcome every day by persons with disabilities.
- We continue to reduce trash in our landfills with our Trash Free Lunch Program through Grades of Green program and Food Finders program allowing us to collect hundreds of pounds of unopened food that was distributed to local non-profit organizations.
We did much more than this; these are just a few of the things of which we are most proud. This coming week will be filled with fun, yet bittersweet, activities. Not only do we prepare to say farewell to our awesome 5th grade students on Thursday as they promote, we will also be celebrating our graduating LAHS Griffins (and McGaugh Sea Lions) who will be visiting McGaugh on Tuesday morning and they will spend a few minutes reminiscing with our children about their journeys from McGaugh to being a graduating senior. We began a Sea Lion tradition two years ago of gathering around the Sunflower Memorial for Ms. Jodi Bailey between Rooms 31-32. Please feel free to join us at 830AM.
Thank you, wonderful parents, for a beautiful school year where we celebrated not only student achievement, but, children in general. I could not be prouder than to be part of such an outstanding school community. You should be proud as well. Enjoy your summer. See you on August 7!!!