Ms. Buenrostro3rd Grade
Welcome to 3rd grade!
It's going to be an exciting and fun year! I am so excited to meet and get to know you. This is where you will find important classroom information and links. You will find a separate folder labeled "Homework" where you can access our weekly homework log.Updates and News:
Please check this webpage frequently to get up-to-date information about what is going on in class.The students are earning tickets daily in order to save up for class store. We really appreciate any and all donations of fun, inexpensive class store items from the dollar section at Target, Dollar Tree store, etc. Please keep bringing in items because they are so excited about the rewards. I hope to have "Class Store" in the next few weeks or so. Thank you!LANGUAGE ARTS :
- We are currently reading the story, Anthony Reynoso, Dancing Rainbows, Talking Cloth, and Keeping Quilt
- Read aloud: Muggie Maggie
- Unit 3: Pretest will be taken on Mondays in class. Students will take home the list and practice their spelling words for the Test on Friday. Test consist of 5 dictation sentences. Please help your child study every night.
- Students should be reading 20 min daily
- Students read independently
- AR testing at 1-2 per week
- Reading at AR level
- Students can check out book in Media Center or from the classroom library
- What is a complete sentence?
- sentences and fragments
- types of sentences
- subject and predicates
* Quiz will be given at the end of the unit. Please help your student practice at home.Writing:
Structure:Topic SentenceMain Idea #1 plus transition word/phrase2 or more detailsMain Idea #2 plus transition word/phrase2+ detailsMain Idea #3 plus transition word/phrase2+ detailsConcluding sentence that restates the topic sentence, ends with a bold statementMath:
- Personal Narrative
- We're reviewing place value in math to the millions place. We will also cover the concept of rounding to the nearest ten, hundred, thousands, and greatest place. Our math wall will include those concepts as well as review addition and subtraction with regrouping and fact families.
- Timed Tests- won't start until mid-late Sept.
- Knowing the multiplication facts is the number #1 requirement that fourth grade teachers have for incoming students! Multiplication tests have started this week. Please practice daily and remind your child to think of known facts to help them with others. For example, if they know their 2's, they should be able to figure out 3's. If they know 3's, they can double the answer and figure out 6's. Same goes for 2's, 4's, and 8's.
- Students will need to memorize all multiplication facts through 12 and take timed times almost daily. They must receive two 100% at each fact in order to move onto the next fact. We have one minute timed tests through facts for 12, then 2 min. and 5 min. mixed multiplication and division tests after that!
- The first test will be 0/1 and students will need to pass it with 100% accuracy TWICE before moving on to the next fact, 2's. Each time a student passes a fact, s/he will receive one piece to add to the multiplication sundae. When it's completed, we will have a multiplication sundae treat to celebrate. Tests will happen frequently as time at the end of the day allows. We will try to have them every day whenever possible to maintain consistency. Remember, this is the number #1 requirement that fourth grade teachers ask for...automaticity in multiplication facts.
.Scholastic Book Clubs Ordering InformationI try to have one book order out each month in order to give students wonderful opportunities to build up their home libraries. You can order online (no checks please) and books are usually delivered 2-3 weeks later. The due date online will be:
- Third graders will have access to iPads every day.
- It would be wonderful if students could bring in earbuds (with their names on them) for their personal use. Several have purchased them through the school supply list already and have received them.
Class Activation Code: MLZ76Jiji/Music:
- Wednesdays 8:20 - 9:35
- Extra M.I.N.D. Friday's 9:20-9:50
- Daily: Students should be reading 20 min
- Testing should be done weekly in class during AR time, before school, or after school.
- Students have received their AR goals for this trimester
Announcements:-Room Mom: Mrs. Flores
****Parent Volunteers please check class calendar for volunteer days***
*Please check homework folder for new information.