Suzanne McElderryMusic Specialist
Room # 13
It is an honor to be part of a community that supports and values music in the schools. I have the privilege of meeting for 45 minutes each week with every class, grades 1-5. Please use the Music Class Schedule Page to discover when your student comes to music each week (a link to the page is located in the upper left).
This year, your student will use song, dance, classroom percussion instruments, and piano keyboards to experience and explore music fundamentals. Each grade level also presents a themed show for the Hopkinson community that expands upon the content they learn in their core classes. Please refer to the Grade Level Performance Chart below for show dates and costume information.
The year culminates in an all-school Bravo Assembly themed around our Class Act composer of the year (Beethoven).
Special notes for 4th/5th grade students:
- The 4th/5th Grade Chorus Page lists the performance opportunities and application for the extra-curricular chorus. Rehearsals are Wednesday mornings, 7:20-7:55 a.m. in the music room.
- All 4th/5th grade students will study the recorder during class this year. Your student needs a binder/folder and a soprano recorder. Please refer to the Recorder Order Form Page if you need to request supplies. (they may also use their supplies from last year, or that of an older sibling)
Phone: (562) 799-4500 ext. 71113
Grade Level Performance Chart
HOPKINSON SCHOOL SHOW DATE* SHOW THEME SHOW COSTUME1st Grade Tuesday, April 30, 2019 Books to Broadway - beloved children's stories that found their way to the musical stage Black and white2nd Grade Tuesday, December 4, 2018
A Holiday Toy Story - December traditions around the world Holiday color combinations: red, green, white, blue, silver, gold 3rd Grade Wednesday, November 14, 2018 Sing of America - a patriotic tribute Patriotic: red, white, and blue 4th Grade Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Go West! - the westward expansion told through song Western apparel (cowboy hats, bonnets, belt buckles, boots, fringe, checks, vests, bandanas) 5th Grade Wednesday, January 23, 2019 TBA 5th grade class shirt and dark pants
- McGaugh School Auditorium, 1698 Bolsa Ave., Seal Beach 90740
- 6:30 p.m. Show time (6:15 student call time)
- Each grade will take a field trip in the morning to prepare for the evening performance
- Bus will leave for the auditorium at 8:30 a.m. and return by lunchtime
My parents trace my start in formal music training to kindergarten. We had just moved to Mexico, and I was struggling with the language acquisition. Don't tell your students this, but my parents let me drop out of kindergarten and take piano lessons instead! (Don't worry, I went back to school as soon as I learned conversational Spanish, and have since earned every degree on time, including a masters' degree in Music Education from CSU Long Beach.) Multiple musical opportunities through out my life opened my eyes to the joys of making and teaching music. I have taught music in the public schools to high school, junior high, and elementary classes since 1997. I was named the 2014 Outstanding Arts Educator in Elementary Vocal Music for Orange County by the Orange County Music and Arts Administrators. I have enjoyed spending my last two summers earning Level I certifications in both Orff and Kodaly, and I am eager to continue the certification process over the next few years.