REQUESTS FOR INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER AGREEMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING MARCH 7, 2022
If your family lives outside of the Los Alamitos Unified School District boundaries and you would like information on the process of joining the Los Al family, please click on the Interdistrict Transfer Frequently Asked Questions link here:
Interdistrict Transfer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
For new students requesting new Interdistrict Transfers – please submit forms and supporting documents via email to Lisa Wallace at email@example.com.
For current students turning in renewed Interdistrict Transfer forms - please submit via email to Lisa Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please note - current students only need to submit the new Interdistrict Transfer form releasing the student from the home district and the Intent to Return form. Transcripts, report cards, attendance records, discipline records, and state testing results are not required for currently enrolled students.)
For current students completing Intent to Return forms - please complete and submit the Intent to Return form electronically - Click here for Intent to Return Form
(Email is the preferred method for submitting documents; however, if you need to submit via fax the number is 562-799-4712.)
Information about Los Alamitos Unified School District's Interdistrict Transfer Process
An interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school (in another school district) other than the designated school within their district of residence. California Education Code sections 46600–46610 permits parents/guardians to request an interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement. The fundamental basis for this provision is the signing of an agreement between districts. Interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement must be approved by both the student’s original district of residence and the district to which the student seeks to transfer to. Both districts must approve the agreement before it becomes valid. It is within the authority of either the home district or the receiving district to revoke an interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement at any time for any reason the local board or district superintendent deems appropriate. If a request for an interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement is denied, the student’s parents/guardians may file an appeal to the District Office (that denied the request) within 10 calendar days of receipt of the notice of denial. If the appeal at the District Level for an interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement is denied, the student’s parents/guardians may file an appeal to the county office of education (of the district that denied the request) within 30 days of receipt of the official notice of denial of the transfer. A parent/guardian's failure to meet any of the established timelines is deemed an abandonment of the request.
Accepting Interdistrict Transfer Agreements is a year-to-year decision and can change from one year to the next. There are limited openings in all of our award-winning schools. Los Alamitos Unified School District will begin processing Interdistrict Transfer Agreements for the 2022-23 school year on March 7, 2022. All permit agreements must be received by the District office and are date stamped when received. Permit agreements will not be date stamped prior to March 7, 2022. The District will either approve or deny the permit request 30 calendar days after receipt for the current school year. With regard to permit requests for future school year, the District will make a final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after the first day of school. If the interdistrict permit request is denied, the District will provide the requesting party a written notice of the District's decision.
Students who attend Los Alamitos Unified School District schools on an interdistrict permit agreement must maintain satisfactory attendance and citizenship while enrolled. Failure to maintain satisfactory attendance and/or citizenship will result in the permit agreement being revoked.
The District performs an annual review of all interdistrict permits to ensure all student information is current and correct. Changes in a student's educational services may require the student to reapply for a new interdistrict permit through their home school district.
The District makes every effort to maintain a student's enrollment at their assigned school, however, if enrollment is impacted at a particular school site, a student on interdistrict permit may be reassigned to a new school within the District where enrollment is not impacted.
Universal TK-8 Interdistrict Permit Agreements:
Universal TK-8 Interdistrict Transfer Agreements are considered based on date of submittal, space availability, and the eleven criteria listed below.
9th and 10th grade Interdistrict Permit Agreements
A limited number of new 9th and 10th grade Interdistrict Transfer Agreements will be accepted for the 2022-23 school year. All new 9th and 10th grade Interdistrict Transfer Agreements submitted by Friday, April 29, 2022, will be considered based on the eleven criteria requirements listed below and will be placed in a lottery (we anticipate fewer than 20 openings total). Interdistrict Transfer Agreements entered into the lottery must submit all required supporting documents by April 29, 2022.)
Interdistrict Transfer Agreements will be accepted after April 29, 2022, based on space availability and may be entered into a new lottery.
Process for Obtaining an Interdistrict Agreement
For families residing outside Los Alamitos Unified School District, parents should first contact their district of residence to request an Interdistrict Transfer Agreement. After receiving the Agreement form from the district of residence, please submit the Interdistrict Transfer Agreement to:
LAUSD District Office
10293 Bloomfield Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Please attach the following items to your Interdistrict Transfer Agreement:
1) Los Alamitos Unified's IDT Permit Information Form
2) Copy of unofficial transcripts and current report card
3) Copy of Attendance Record
4) Copy of Discipline Record
5) Copy of Current State Testing Results (if available)
6) Information related to special programs (if applicable): Current IEP, Section 504 Plan, GATE Status, Advanced Placement Coursework
ALL INTERDISTRICT PERMITS ARE REVIEWED ON AN ANNUAL BASIS AND MAY BE DENIED, NON-RENEWED OR CANCELLED DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- Student fails to attend the first day of the school year, fails to continue enrollment in a District-offered special program or course of study, or enrolls in any non-District school.
- Student does not maintain a satisfactory record of scholarship, citizenship and/or attendance.
- Family uses false, misleading or deliberate omission of information as a basis for securing or renewing a permit or fails to update initial information when address or circumstances change.
- Issuance of permit would cause the class to which the pupil desires a transfer to exceed the pupil-class average established by the district.
- Space at the student’s grade level is not available (as determined by the principal).
- The transfer would negatively impact on the desegregation plan of this district or of the district of residence.
- Student is suspended for any violation of Ed. Code 48900 through 48900.7 whereby, an immediate interdistrict transfer revocation may occur.
- Immediate interdistrict revocation may occur for other discipline problems if, in the opinion of the site administrative team, the student’s disciplinary problem warrants revocation.
- In the opinion of the Superintendent/designee, the permit is not renewed in the best interests of the students of the District.
- The transfer of the student would require the District to create a new program or provide a new service to serve that student.
- The programs for which the student qualifies are impacted.
The District will provide a letter to applicants whose permits were not approved.
For more information about Interdistrict Agreements, call (562) 799-4700 Ext. 80411.