AB 130 Independent Study Information
Parents choosing an OCDE Independent Study option will have the right to request a pupil-parent-educator conference meeting before enrollment to review the academic program delivery, student support, enrollment process, specific academic expectations as well as the withdrawal process from Los Al Unified.
All Independent Study programs will have components of “Daily Live Interaction” and “Synchronous Instruction”, however the exact minute mandates have not yet been released by the California Department of Education.
- “Daily Live interaction” means interaction between the student and classified or certificated staff, and may include peers, provided for the purpose of maintaining school connectedness, including but not limited to wellness checks, progress monitoring, provision of services and instruction. This interaction may take place in person or in the form of internet or telephonic communication.
- “Synchronous instruction” means classroom-style instruction or designated small group or one-on-one instruction delivered in person, or in the form of internet or telephonic communications and involving live, two-way communication between the teacher and student. Synchronous instruction shall be provided by the teacher of record.
- Kindergarten to grade 3 — daily synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year
- Grades 4 to 8 — both daily live interaction and at least weekly synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year
- Grades 9 to 12 — at least weekly synchronous instruction for all students throughout the school year
Documentation of live and synchronous instruction is required for each school day, in whole or in part, that an Independent Study program is provided. Any student who does not participate in remote learning on a school day will be documented as non-participatory for that day.
Independent Study programs will maintain either written or computer-based evidence of student engagement. This includes but is not limited to a grade book or summary document for each class that lists all assignments, assessments, and associated grades.
To read the complete assembly bill CLICK HERE.