Update for Parents of Students in Special Education
Dear Families of Special Education Students,
As Dr. Pulver informed you yesterday, the OC Public Health Department approved an elementary waiver for our students in grades TK-5, but the waiver also directed that it does not apply to our students who attend special education classes. We are fighting for your child’s rights to be included in our District’s in-person elementary waiver reopening on September 8, and the District is actively pursuing legal action regarding this matter.
We continue to await further guidance from the state for students with special needs. The District will immediately pursue any steps the guidelines require to reopen for all students in grades TK-5. We are cautiously optimistic that the pending guidance will enable us to return more students with special needs to our school sites in preschool through Adult Transition, once we meet required health care conditions. We believe that as a District, and as a community, we have an obligation to meet the educational and social emotional needs of our students with special needs, as they are particularly vulnerable to the adverse impacts of distance learning.
In the meantime, I encourage you to contact your local and state officials to advocate for our students with special needs, and to demand further guidance from Governor Newsom, the California Department of Education, and the California Department of Public Health.
Here is the contact information for our District’s State representatives:
- Governor Newsom
- State Office: (916) 445-2841
- Fax: (916) 558-3160
- Website: https://www.gov.ca.gov/
- California Department of Public Health
- State Director’s Office: (916) 558-1700
- Email: email@example.com
- California Department of Education, Special Education Director Heather Calomese
- Phone: 916-445-4613
- Fax: 916-327-3706
- Orange County Health Care Agency
- Director Dr. Clayton Chau
- David Nunez, Medical Director/Schools Resource Team
- Website: www.ochealthinfo.com
- Assembly Member Tyler Diep
- State Office: (916) 319-2072
- Local Office: (714) 843-4966
- Website: https://ad72.asmrc.org/
- Senator Thomas Umberg
- State Office: (916) 651-4034
- Local Office: (714) 558-3785
- Website: https://sd34.senate.ca.gov/
Thank you for your support, and for your continued advocacy on behalf of the most vulnerable students in our District.
Grace Delk, M.S.
Director, Special Education and Mental Health
(562) 799-4700 ext. 80421